Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Duck house delinquents

Jim Clifford writes:
I was impressed with the irony of the placement of the pictures of Noonan Park and the Douglas County Courthouse.
 There was a period of time in my youth when I would hang around the "duck house," as we called the pictured building, and engage in activities that would certainly have qualified me for an immediate trip to the courthouse.  
My parents kept a rather loose inventory of their cigarettes (Old Gold Straights), enabling my brother and me to develop a tobacco habit that took years to kick.  
In those days, one could go inside the duck house and do whatever one had in mind.  I recall shooting my initials just to the right of the door with my BB gun.  You can't get inside any more, and they have re-sided the building, erasing my marksmanship work product.  
Nostalgia aside, sealing the building may have been the most effective anti-delinquency measure ever undertaken in Alexandria.

No comments: