Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Did you autograph Tom's book?

He can't remember.

Tom Obert writes:
So, anyway, I'm looking in the yearbooks to identify Mr. Chapman. While I recognized his photo, in no way could I ever put together his name with his picture. Wondering how bad it had gotten, I perused the entire '65 yearbook and was quite taken aback at the number of classmates I have absolutely no memory of - neither the names nor the faces registered any kind of recognition. When I looked at the '63 yearbook, I may as well have been looking at Ruthie's yearbook from Terre Haute, Indiana. So I decided to go through the various classmate signings for clues. Many are now illegible, several leave me clueless (though a normal state), but some were interesting -
The following best summed up my high school "career":

"Tom,
I haven't really had a chance to get to know you, even sitting across from you in English. I haven't got a chance to get to know you. Hope it works out better next year. Til then, good luck in everything you do.
Diane"

[I have no idea which "Diane" - [nee] Hoffman? My only memories of an English class are of ragging on Sara Smith in Ms. Habstritt's class.]

Another brought a knowing chuckle, though it requires further 'explanation' from her:

"I guess Chris took up all my space - anyway. I remember a lot of things about you because we really do have something in common - your mother! Have fun & I'll see you this summer.
As always, Sue Gorham"

And finally, I remember this one to this day, for its uniqueness:

"If you chance to meet a sneezer,
swat him promptly on the breezer,
thus, you stifle his cadenza,
and avoid the influenza.

Rocky Linder"

No comments: