Saturday, February 20, 2010

From the canyons of his mind. . .

Tom Obert writes:
A classmate I do remember is a Cardinal fan. I run across Ruth [Helie] Anderson quite often in our comings and goings about Alexandria. She and her husband are occasional mall walkers - and I see them at Cardinal sports events. This year at a girls' hockey game, I asked her if she had a granddaughter on the team (I actually thought the Super Fans were the only non-parents/non-grandparents at girls' games). She said no, they just liked to go to the games. OK! I think that makes her a Super Fan!

Ruth with her twin, Robert Helie

Mall walking this morning we saw a couple we see every day out there. We have always exchanged daily pleasantries as our paths cross during laps. Today they asked if we were going to the girls' hockey game tonight - the section finals in Willmar against Morris-Benson. We said, "Yah, you betcha!" Then, as they were leaving, they asked if any of us had granddaughters on the team. We said they all are - and then I asked if they knew Ruth Helie Johnson, a semi-regular mall walker, who also goes to the games but doesn't have a granddaughter on the team. The wife said, "Ruth was a classmate of mine." I asked, "You were class of '65? Ruth was my classmate, too." Yup, it was Vonita Johnson. Shortly thereafter, as if on cue, Ruth showed up for a walk - I relayed the whole story to her.

No comments: