Thursday, September 30, 2010

Central rims same height as Lincoln's

KXRA Sports Broadcaster Ray Lang at far right. Photo courtesy Terry Lang.
Terry Lang writes:
Stan, I went to your class blog and saw where you had put in info about Central's gym and my dad and his broadcasting woes. His sidekick was HH (Herb Robinson) who had the credit bureau in town. The family lived in Victoria Heights across from the Oberts and Seims and next to the Sherrys. I married Rita, Herb's oldest daughter.

When I was in grade school at Lincoln, we played an annual game at Central against Washington. I remember we did it each year, 4th, 5th, and 6th. I remember we all thought it was the greatest, most important basketball game to ever be played because we grade schoolers were getting to play in the high school gym! At that age, the gym seemed enormous! Years before the movie "Hoosiers", one of our coaches showed us that the rims were the same height as the ones we used at Lincoln.

I also remember Dad broadcasting a game between the Minneapolis Lakers and the faculty. That game was played at the new Jefferson Senior High Gym, but I don't remember if it was for some fund-raiser or not.

Thanks for keeping my Dad's name going. Terry

No comments: