Saturday, November 14, 2009

Ahlfors reads this blog in Texas

Cub Reporter Tom Obert files this:

Ran into Jim Ahlfors ('66) last night - well, actually he ran into me.  Anyway, Jim lives in San Antonio and was in Alex visiting his mom.  He said I was "59," meaning I was the 59th person he'd run into since he'd been here.  We started reminiscing, of course, and I mentioned our 1962 state runner-up VFW baseball team.  Jim said, "Waseca."  That's where it was played, and we lost the championship game to Bloomington, 12 - 0.  I struck out to end the game.  I had few strengths as a ballplayer, but one of them was I didn't strike out much.  The ump called me out on a pitch that was 6" outside - it was hot and he wanted to end the inevitable.  That's my story and I'm sticking with it.
 
Ruthie & I drove home from Indiana last Christmas during a snow and ice storm.  We decided to get off the interstates and take the safer, less traveled, back roads home.  We ended up going through Waseca.  In my first visit there since 1962, I reprised my batting stance from our "field of dreams" on Christmas Day, 2008.
 
p.s.  Jim regularly reads our blog.  Unfortunately, I did not get a photo of him.  I had my press credentials revoked as a result of shoddy, incomplete coverage of the Alex-Sartell section final football game.

No comments: