Saturday, December 26, 2009

The editor and the cub match memories

Tom Obert (pictured with his Christmas booty) writes:


Your recollections of Central, by geographic direction, are amazing.  I have few visual images of the place - probably the strongest of which was heading to "The Fountain" for lunch.  
I remember Mr. Butler's 8th-grade math class.  He would have us all go to the chalk board, give us problems, and the first to solve it would get 3 points, 2nd would get 2 points, and 3rd would get 1 point.  And I remember the constant battle with Lorlee and Judy Seppanen for those points - who said women weren't good at math and science?   
I remember having to do a major project on Great Expectations, but, unfortunately, I don't recall the teacher (Stevie Nelson?), who was always reputed to be excellent.  I remember drawing a cartoon of Kennedy and Humphrey boxing within the confines of the state of West Virginia (the 1960 primaries) in art class (Dick Greengo's?).  
I remember doing a 50-plus page report on my prospective adult career - marine biologist - but have no recollection for what, or whose, class that was done for.  (I seem to recall little Mayo Johnson's was about 30 pages longer than mine - don't recall his career choice, however.)  And I remember shop class, where we fashioned those marvelous, long-lasting, night stands.  
I can barely "picture" the teacher and can't remember his name (Amundson?).


(Editor responds: Clayton, it was Clayton Amundson. May I add to your Central Junior HIgh recollections that you had Lyle Frank for ninth grade science. I had Ray Farley. I regret to inform you, Tom, that you were no Mr. Wizard. One morning I came into Lyle's science room to hang out (no Playboy mags there or anything, but he encouraged morning visitors, for some reason) and I saw and heard him bitching about your take-home science project. You had assembled some electrical apparatus on a piece of plywood and when he plugged it in to grade it, he kept blowing fuses. I did not make this up. I also recall that you fobbed the responsibility for the wiring job off onto your father, who wasn't there to deny anything. Just a nice memory I thought you'd like to add to your bank. :))

No comments: