Wednesday, June 02, 2010

Here's a total scam

Some time ago a friend's address book was hacked into and now this phony message is going out to everyone in the book. You may receive one like it. Just ignore it. There's not much you can do about this. It is one of the sad aspects of the internet. It's why we avoid publishing email addresses here.

The victim happens to be a classmate, so you may have been in the book. Here's what the fake says:

Dear (your name would be inserted here) 
Hope you get this on time, sorry I didn't inform you about my trip in Scotland for a program,  I'm presently in Edinburgh and am having some difficulties here because i misplaced my wallet on my way to the hotel where my money and other valuable things were kept.I want  you to assist me with a loan of  $2,000  to sort-out my hotel bills and to get myself back home. I have spoken to the embassy here but they are not responding to the matter effectively,I will appreciate whatever you can afford to assist me with,I'll Refund the money back to you as soon as i return, let me know if you can be of any help. I don't have a phone where i can be reached. Please let me know immediately.
Best Regards
(The victim of the stolen address book is named here)

Nothing about this is genuine. It preys on your natural willingness to do a kindness for a friend. Frustrating. Sad. Insidious. Part of our lives.

No comments: