Saturday, October 17, 2009

On her way to an Evening in Paris

The late Bud Gorham took this 1965 photo of his daughter, Sue, in the family living room. She was on her way to the senior prom, in a dress sewn by her grandmother.


Upon seeing this photo, Sue writes:
I loved that my grandma was so good at sewing and fitting. She continued to sew me some outfits for college, before I made the switch to jeans and sweatshirts. But the hair for that prom was another story. I could only get the last appointment of the day, and the hairdresser was tired and overworked, and it showed. I think my hair was still a bit damp for that photo. Lots of hairspray kept it together long enough, I guess.
For junior prom, Karen Schjei Benson's mom made me a dress of gold brocade, which I imagine was not easy. I still appreciate all the hours she put into cutting, fitting, pinning, and sewing that one. Of course, she made Karen's as well, and I have no idea whether I even gave her a thank-you gift.
Sue

No comments: